For anyone interested, haven't tried it myself but there's apparently been another restoration project of sorts for Gabriel Knight 3 that's been going on to get the game looking and running better on modern computers. Requires a copy of the game to try it but the information is here: https://gk3.lazy.kiwi/
Gabriel Knight 3 is the only one I haven't played. Its a good oppurtunity to pick it up
As someone who thinks GK3 is quite underrated and not really deserving of the bad rep it's gotten over the years, I welcome all attempts at making it more playable on modern systems. However, I'm not really sold on the AI-upscaled textures/artwork, which seems to completely change/hallucinate new bits to the original artwork at times.
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."
You don't have to use the restored artwork if you don't want to. Again, I haven't tried it myself but essentially if you don't get two files with the restoration efforts you can still use the launcher itself to play the game as normal according to the website. They also have language packs for more subtitle options than the game had originally.
How the vanilla game compares with the launcher versus the GoG and Steam versions I don't know though.
How the vanilla game compares with the launcher versus the GoG and Steam versions I don't know though.
Ok, so I tried it out yesterday, and was impressed by how fast it opened and ran, even though it's very clearly an early version. As long as you own the original files it was a surprisingly easy installation as well, especially compared to the laborious process of getting the original/Steam version working smoothly/without crashing on a modern system.
The amount of new customization features in the options menu(including options to skip the cat moustache puzzle!) implies that there's been quite an overhaul, however, there's clearly still quite a lot of bugs and jankyness. I especially found that the reworking of the interface makes interacting with hotspots a bit cumbersome when playing with just your laptop mousepad. Might try and play with a gamepad later just to see if that works better.
Not perfect, by any means, but as a first version it certainly feels like this could be a good path forward to a modern playable version of the game.
The amount of new customization features in the options menu(including options to skip the cat moustache puzzle!) implies that there's been quite an overhaul, however, there's clearly still quite a lot of bugs and jankyness. I especially found that the reworking of the interface makes interacting with hotspots a bit cumbersome when playing with just your laptop mousepad. Might try and play with a gamepad later just to see if that works better.
Not perfect, by any means, but as a first version it certainly feels like this could be a good path forward to a modern playable version of the game.
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."